Kunu Aya is a healthy, natural drink popular in the northern part of Nigeria. It is a variant of the original Kunu Dawa made from millet. Tigernuts are rich in fibre, vitamins E, C and protect the heart.
- 4 Cups Tiger Nuts
- 1 Cup Dates
- 1 Small Coconut
- 2 Cloves Ginger
- Sugar/Honey (to taste)
- Pick the dried tiger nuts to remove stones or other dirt, then wash with water.
- Soak the tiger nuts with clean water in a bowl for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Cut the dates, ginger and coconut into little pieces.
- Rinse the tiger nut seeds and add the dates, ginger and pieces of coconut in a bowl.
- Transfer them into a blender or an engine. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Sieve the mixture to remove the chaff.
- Add 2-3 spoonfuls of honey/sugar for sweetening (not really necessary, as the drink is already sweet).
- Serve the drink chilled. Enjoy!
Note: When preparing the drink, you should be fast because it ferments quickly. Make sure you put it in a refrigerator immediately after preparation.