One great thing about Rice is that you can make it into several varieties. Coconut Rice is a really delicious rice dish that is moderately easy to make. Its rich, creamy taste is sure to leave your taste buds craving more. Nigerian Coconut Rice is a nice twist to the usual rice varieties we are used to.
Do you want to learn how to make this dish by yourself? Then, let’s get cooking!
- 3 Cups of Rice
- 2 Coconuts (Or One Can of Coconut Milk)
- Chicken Stock (optional)
- 1 Medium-sized Onion
- 2-3 Mixed Bell Peppers
- 2-3 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
- 2 Tablespoons Crayfish
- Bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- Curry and Thyme
- Ginger/Garlic Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 stock cubes.
- 3 Tablespoons Nosak Famili Vegetable Oil
- Crack open the coconuts and separate from the husks. Chop the coconuts into pieces, place in a blender, add water and blend. Then add more water and extract the coconut milk from the chaff with a sieve.
P.S: Skip this step if you would rather use canned coconut milk. Using fresh coconut however gives your dish a richer creamy, coconut taste.
- Pour your rice in a pot and parboil for 7 minutes. Then wash with cold water, drain and set aside.
- Preheat the vegetable oil. When hot, add your chopped onions, mixed bell peppers, scotch bonnet peppers, curry, thyme, bay leaves, stock cubes, black pepper, ginger/garlic powder and salt and allow to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, pour in the coconut milk and allow to simmer. Then add your parboiled rice and crayfish.
- You can also garnish with shredded coconut when the rice is almost ready.
- Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Your coconut rice is ready!
Did you like this recipe? Do let us know what you think and what your results are when you try it out. Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook for your daily food inspiration.