Nigerian Chicken Pie is a really tasty snack with encrusted dough with chicken and vegetable filling. Learn how to make it with this easy recipe.
For the Chicken Pie dough
- 1kg Plain Flour (All Purpose Flour)
- 300g Margarine
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Glass Whole Milk or Water
For the Chicken Pie filling
- 350g Minced Chicken
- 2 Small Irish Potatoes
- 1 Small Piece of Carrot
- 1 White Onion
- 1 Cooking Spoon Nosak Famili Vegetable Oil
- 2 Chicken Seasoning Cubes
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 2 Teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Plain Flour
- Some Water
- Salt (To Taste)
- To prepare the filling, heat up some oil in a pan and sauté the chopped onions over medium heat stirring constantly it until it becomes translucent.
- Add the ground chicken and sauté it until it’s no longer pink.
- Sprinkle in the seasoning cube, pepper, curry, thyme, and salt to taste, together with the diced potatoes and carrots and leave to cook until the vegetables become tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and water and mix it together until the until the mixture is no longer lumpy. Then pour the flour and water mixture over the Chicken pie filling and leave it to simmer for about a minute. Set aside.
For the dough
- Combine the butter, margarine, and flour together in a large bowl and use your hands to massage until it becomes crumbly.
- Add the milk/water, a little at a time until a slightly stiff but workable dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for about a minute. Cover with a plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.
- Heat up your oven to 350°F.
- Crack one egg in a bowl and set it aside.
- Line your baking pan with parchment or foil paper and rub it with some butter/margarine and set aside.
- Remove dough from the fridge and place it back on a floured work surface and roll it out to a thin thickness. Trim the edges and cut out the pastry into rectangles of your desired size.
- Fill the pastry with the chicken pie filling, but don’t overfill so that you will be able to close the Pie easily.
- Brush the edges of the pie pastry with whisked egg, and fold the dough over to close it up and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Use the remaining whisked egg to brush the surface of the chicken pie.
- Use a fork to prick the surface of the pie.
- Place the pies inside the preheated oven (350°F) and bake for 20 minutes or till golden brown.
- Your pies are ready! Enjoy.