Creamy Mashed Potatoes is a perfect side dish for the holidays. It is super creamy, fluffy and quick to whip up, especially when you have company. It makes use of 4 major ingredients (potatoes, butter, milk and salt), but we’ve included extra to give it more flavour. You can skip this though if you want and your Creamy Mashed Potatoes will still taste great.
While we used a stand mixer in this recipe, it’s perfectly fine to use a fork, masher or sieve to mash your potatoes.
- 12 Medium Irish Potatoes, peeled
- 1 ¼ Cups Hot Milk
- 2 Sticks (1 Cup) Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature (not melted)
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, Rosemary or Thyme, finely chopped (to garnish).
- 4-6 Cloves Fresh Garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper (optional)
- Peel potatoes, place in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook partially covered until easily pierced with a knife (boil 20-25 minutes with medium heat).
- Drain well and transfer to the bowl of your stand mixer. Grab the whisk attachment and mash potatoes lightly by hand to break them up. Fit mixer with whisk attachment and stand mixer on low speed 30 seconds then increase to medium and slowly drizzle in 1 to 1 1/4 cups hot milk.
- With the mixer on, add softened butter 1 tablespoon at a time, Potatoes should be whipped and fluffy.
- Add salt, pepper, and chopped garlic if using.
- Scoop out mashed potatoes from mixing bowl, drizzle with melted butter and garnish with herbs.