Yam and Pepper Soup is a tasty and spicy dish common among Nigerians. With Mothers’ Day just around the corner, this meal will be a great way to show your mother/wife some love. You can serve it as breakfast or brunch and we are sure she would appreciate and bless you for it. Our recipe is specifically Yam and goat meat peppersoup but you can also make you of any meat of your choice.
Here’s the recipe to make that wonderful woman in your life happy:
- 150grams yam (you can use the hard sweet potato or unripe plantains as substitutes)
- 600g goat meat with bones (You can also use any tasty fish for a healthier choice or get creative with assorted meats)
- 1 tablespoonful ground crayfish
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 pieces of ground Habenero peppers (Atarodo) (you can vary the amount depending on how spicy you want it or use ground Chilli peppers as substitute)
- 2-3 tablespoonful pepper soup spice mix
- 2 Cloves ground garlic and ginger
- 1 tablespoonful chopped Uziza or scent leaves (Efirin).
- 2 seasonings/stock cubes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Nosak Famili vegetable oil
- Peel the yam (potatoes/unripe plantains), cut into cubes and wash thoroughly.
- Boil yam with a teaspoon of salt and leave to boil for about 10 to 15 minutes (don’t allow to get too soft). Then strain out the water and set aside.
- Cut and wash the goat (or your fish/ assorted meats), add the onions, ginger, garlic, stock cubes and salt to taste. Place on low heat and leave to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Then, add the precooked yams (potatoes/unripe plantains), ground peppers, ground crayfish, pepper soup spice, vegetable oil and the chopped Uziza/Scent leaves.
- Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes and your yam and goat meat pepper soup is ready!
Happy Mother’s Day to all our supermums!